We live in a society where even after all this time, inequality still exists when it comes to sports. Male-dominated sports often receive preference as compared to female sports. The female sports barely get the required recognition. Today, we will discuss one of the common sports for women only. A year after the most played sport, basketball was invented, modifications were made to encourage women to increase participation in sports and get the recognition they truly deserve. This sport was named and netball and played in most of the commonwealth nations by females. Today, we will learn the rules and variations of this sport, mainly loved by women.
Netball (Sports For Women Only)
Two teams with seven players in each team. Considered as a female-dominated sport in commonwealth nations. Although men play this sport but are mostly recognized as a female sport.
This sport is mainly played in a rectangular court. You will find goal rings on both ends. The main aim is to score more goals than the opposing team to win. The duration of the game is 60 minutes. The players are assigned specific positions and are restricted from moving within a certain parameter only.
Main Rules Of Netball (Sports For Women Only)
- The main objective is to pass the ball around and shoot it in the goal ring. While playing, the player with the ball can only take one step before passing it to the other player.
- The player with the ball should get either pass or goal within three seconds.
- In the 60-minute long game with a 15-minute quarter, the player with the most goals in the end wins.
- Only shooting players can score the goal. No goal in case this rule breaks.
- There must be a distance of 3-feet between the player defending the ball and the player with the ball. If this parameter has not adhered, then it would eventually result in a penalty pass.
Variations Of Netball (Sports For Women Only)
In indoor netball, the game takes place indoors with a net surrounding all the four sides and overhead to prevent the ball from leaving the court. There are different versions of indoor netball as well. The game is split into 15-minute halves when it comes to action netball, along with a 3-minute break in between for rest. Mainly played in New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and England.
As the name suggests, Fast5 is the version where the game is much shorter and thus, ends faster. Modification in the rules takes place. Each quarter is only 6-minutes long with a 2-minute break in between.
These were some rules and variations of one of the sports for women only that you must know about. The main reason behind getting involved in sports is to boost the level of self-confidence and self-esteem to grow and achieve the targets in life. Hence, keep these rules in mind before you start playing, and to grow, you need to take the first step.